Sunday, September 30, 2012

Year Summery 2012

So it has almost been one year since my last post.
I have lived in Buffalo NY for a year and 1 mo.

What has happened?:

I worked in a wood shop on the East side of the city 20hr/wk for 6months.
I started by doing drywall and painting.

In the wood shop I patiently made Chop Sticks, Utensils, Cutting Boards, Picture Frames, Bottle Openers, Book Marks and other small trinkets.

In the winter months we successfully sold things at various holiday markets made out of reclaimed wood.
Queen City Market in one of the Karpalles Manuscript Museums



Another  homemade and obnoxiously large Halloween costume:


I saw Jeffrey Lewis on my 23rd birthday!! 
a friend of mine made me a cake, but it was not really a cake, it was a delicious mound of Plantains called Mofongo.

All winter long I looked for a job.
The catering job I had slowed down for the winter. right before the work ended for the season I got to cater a Christmas Party in someones house. They had a choir singing on their marble staircase.

The thing I enjoy most about catering for Oliver's is that the main events we do are in both of the large art museums and this historical society. I get to see the museums for free, and get paid!

After extreme searching for a job, like it was my job, through the snow, just to find that I should check back in spring. I got another catering gig that was super part time and in May a job at a presidential pub
called Founding Fathers.

There, I serve drinks and food at the tables as well as cook the food I serve. What!!?! Yes, I do both, but its not hard. If  im cooking 5 orders and another table comes in, I put the burgers, chicken, whatever on the colder side of the grill and come out and get their drinks. Its a lot to juggle. But fun!

There is free popcorn and chips with cheese, beans, and salsa.
The owner of the bar loves to dish out trivia questions to the customers.
Its a very unique place with a wide variety of customers from businessmen, college kids, neighbours, and regulars, tourists, and a more ritiser crowed that stays at a hotel mansion across the street.
It is the most unsanitary place I have worked. But maybe this was how casual dining in a dive bar looked all along, I just never experienced it before.

During the summer in Buffalo there is a free concert, festival, or large scale city wide even every week. Usually all at the same time.

I did my best at testing each thing.
I saw a Shakespeare play in the park.
I saw Jesus and Mary Chain perform on the water. The crowed is overwhelming.


FIRSTS:
Rode my bike in the snow.
I ate a homemade Perogi.
I booked a show.
I seriously played vollyball.
I became good at making Raw Desserts.
I broke a bone (Styloid Process, at the tip of my Ulna)
I quit cutting my hair.
I attended Catholic and Lutherian Mass
I checked out a service at the Unitarian Universalist Church
I wresteled a girl taller then me and won.
Went on an all night trash picking, dumpstering spree with my current roomate Carrie Nader.
She likes scrap metal, I like vintage things.

Movies I watched: (bad1-10good)
Peewees Big Adventure (9)
Tank Girl (8)
Black Swan (2)
Future of Food- doc. (10)
Secret Life Bees- doc. (9)
Nine Months (3)
Absinthe- doc. (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment