Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Community of BUFFALO

Why Buffalo, and What am I doing here?

While I was in Albany, I contacted Megan, over a website called helpx.net.

I am doing a work exchange here. Working 20hrs a week in exchange for staying with my new friend Megan. She is my age and, owns her own house, and has a wood shop. Her business is part of ReUse Action.

So far I have been practicing drywall, sanding, and getting better and using the tools around the shop.
Wednesday, there is a community spotlight at a near by farmers market where I get to display some items we have built and get the word out about what ReUse Action is doing.

There is a community of people in Buffalo who are truly doing things. And if you ever want to come to Buffalo you must check out the Buffalo Barn Raisers

The link explaines it all, but basically it is a monthly calendar that shows the dates of  free things such as, documentary screenings, potlucks, bike rides, yoga, city tours, out door activities, & workshops such as: medicinal herbs, beer brewing, harvesting the city (materials), and much much more.

There is a midnight bike ride that happens every sunday with an average turnout of 100 people. Through that I met someone who is moving to Austin, Texas Janruary 1st.

I have decided to stay in Buffalo with my work trade until that date, which I may decide to catch a ride and bike from there (TX) to the west coast.
I know some people in TX, NM, & AZ along the way. I am currently researching ways to do more work exchanges in the south west during the cold season.

If you want my Buffalo mailing address, just contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment